Gamblers Anonymous publishes a questionnaire for anyone who thinks they might have a gambling problem. If you believe you may have developed a gambling problem we encourage you to answer the following questions:
- Did you ever lose time from work or school due to gambling?
- Has gambling ever made your home life unhappy?
- Did gambling affect your reputation?
- Have you ever felt remorse after gambling?
- Did you ever gamble to get money with which to pay debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties?
- Did gambling cause a decrease in your ambition or efficiency?
- After losing did you feel you must return as soon as possible and win back your losses?
- After a win did you have a strong urge to return and win more?
- Did you often gamble until your last dollar was gone?
- Did you ever borrow to finance your gambling?
- Have you ever sold anything to finance gambling?
- Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?
- Did gambling make you careless of the welfare of yourself or your family?
- Did you ever gamble longer than you had planned?
- Have you ever gambled to escape worry, trouble, boredom or loneliness?
- Have you ever committed, or considered committing, an illegal act to finance gambling?
- Did gambling cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
- Do arguments, disappointments or frustrations create within you an urge to gamble?
- Did you ever have an urge to celebrate any good fortune by a few hours of gambling?
- Have you ever considered self destruction or suicide as a result of your gambling?
If you answered 'yes' to a number of these questions, gambling may be a problem for you.
If you feel you need help, the following services are available to people for whom gambling has become a problem:
UK based services
Gamblers Anonymous: 0845 600 0133
Australian based services
Gamblers Anonymous: (02) 9628 5065
Australian Capital Territory: (02) 6247 0655
New South Wales: 1800 633 635; TTY 1800 633 649
Northern Territory: 1800 629 683
Queensland: 1800 222 050
South Australia: 1800 060 757
Tasmania: 1800 000 973; TTY 1800 000 974
Victoria: 1800 858 858 or 1800 156 789
Western Australia: 1800 622 112